Sunday, February 5, 2012

Winterlicious at Fred's Not Here

Fred's Not Here was the only restaurant I decided to attend for Winterlicious this year. I was really looking forward to it because of how great the baked lobster soup seemed to be, but I was quite disappointed. The service was poor and I thought the food was only mediocre (at least what I ordered). 

Justin and I came here with a couple friends that we used to volunteer with at Vision Youth : )


Group Photo !


To start, all of us got the Famous Baked Lobster and Crab Soup, except for Jon who got Roasted Stuffed Calamari with Seafood Risotto.   Justin liked the soup, but it wasn't as great as I imagined it to be. It wasn't as creamy as I would've liked, and a lot of the baked soufflé/bread would end up in huge chunks as I try to break it into my soup; which made it difficult to eat without being messy. And I'm a very messy eater : ( have to wipe my mouth like every 3 minutes.  I heard a girl in the table beside us telling her friend that you have to use the fork and knife to cut it open - maybe I should've done that?   Jon said the calamari was good though. 






For main's we all pretty much got different entrées. Ronald & Shirley both got the New York Strip Steak with Shrimp and Crabmeat Hollandaise, and Duck Fat Frites as a side. I got Wood Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Fries as well.  I didn't really like how my steak wasn't hot, it wasn't cold or lukewarm, but it just wasn't hot!  Ronald & Shirley were kind of disappointed by how little the shrimp/crabmeat was. It sounded like it was going to be A LOT of meat, but it was just a little bit on top of the steak -__-''.  The assorted vegetables was also Bok Choy.... LOl    I can eat that at home!


Rib Eye


NY Strip Steak


Duck Fat Frites


Justin got the Roasted Lobster Tail in Garlic Butter with Mussels, and Black Linguine in Smoked Jalapeno Sauce.  His lobster tasted really good, it was tender, and the Jalapeno sauce was quite interesting!   Jon got the Roasted Fresh Black Cod Filet with Japanese Eggplant and Coconut Rice - he demolished it within seconds and said the eggplant was delicious, but the filet was kind of bland. 


I wish I got this, but I didn't want to order the same thing...and I didn't think I could go wrong with Steak as it is a Steakhouse.




For dessert, all of us got either Tiramisu or Belgian Chocolate Mousse Cake. The cakes were really disproportionate in size. The tiramisu was huge, whereas the chocolate cake was small. I didn't enjoy the mint leaves either, tasted like toothpaste.  Both cakes where good, but none of us with the tiramisu could finish it, the size was just way too big. 






Overall, I wasn't impressed with any of the dishes I had except the Tiramisu...but I was slightly disappointed because I was expecting the traditional layered kind. However, Justin's entrée did seem quite yummy from the little bit that I tried. 

And here is what I didn't like about the service:
  1. Waiter took so long to return to take our orders
  2. Appetizers took forever to come
  3. Entrées took even longer to come! We witnessed one table beside us go through their whole meal before our entrée even came. Another table beside us, got seated after and still finished their entrée before ours came!
  4. Did not come around to refill water!!
  5. Took away our fries just cause we finished the main course. I still wanted to nibble on mine : (
Jon's theory is maybe because we didn't really eat our starter bread which told them we weren't super hungry, so they didn't have to prioritize us first. I think that is quite rude LOL especially since we all did eat 1-2 pieces each. 

I don't recommend going unless you really want to.   Despite the food and service, it was a fun night though, as always : )




Fred's Not Here on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment