Thursday, 2 August 2012

New York Trip Day 2 Pt. 1

Our second day in New York was jam packed with tourist activities because it was the only day we were fully there. We intended to wake up early to head out to Statue of Liberty again but that failed miserably as everyone woke up past 9am, and with 7 people taking turns with the shower...we barely made it in time for brunch.

Our itinerary for the day was: 
  1. Brunch at Momofuku Noodle Bar
  2. Empire State Building
  3. Madame Tussad's Wax Musuem
  4. Dinner at Maze by Gordon Ramsay
  5. Times Square
  6. Brooklyn Bridge

So our day started with brunch at Momofuku which is a Japanese ramen restaurant ranked #3 on New York's Urbanspoon (at the time anyway). We actually arrived too early as the restaurant only opens at 12pm so we ended up loitering outside a supermarket because it had shade for about 15-20 minutes. We got there so fast because we found out cabbing was so cheap! As long as you have at least 3 people in a cab, it is so worth it!! That's probably one of the biggest things I miss about New York...cabbing and the numbered streets which make directions easy to remember - I'm very fail with directions. 

The interior reminds me of Kinton Ramen (I haven't been but I've seen pictures!). It has a communal area in the front but has seats unlike Kinton Ramen's which is a standing area (I think). There's tables to sit at further back where we were, and also a bar right by the kitchen.


To start Beatrice and I (being the fatties we are), wanted to try appetizers in addition to ramen. We got the Fried Oyster Buns which comes with Old Bay mayo, pickles and tomatoes for $12. Jordan and Sean also shared this so we aren't the only fatties! It was kind of overpriced for only 2 buns, but it was surprisingly delicious and fresh! You could really still taste oyster even though it was fried.

 All of us girls got the Momofuku Ramen which came with pork belly, pork shoulder and a poached egg for $16. I didn't really enjoy the broth of the ramen it had a Tonkotsu flavour but with a weird mix of herbs. I'm sure the ramen was done well...but I couldn't really get past the broth : S I think I'm just picky with ramen because I love Santouka Ramen so much (It's supposedly coming to Toronto!!). 

Jordan got the Spicy Miso Ramen which comes with smoked chicken, Swiss chard and sesame for $15. I don't think I even asked how it was lol but I'm guessing it wasn't that spicy...because Sean's Chilled Spicy Noodles with Sichuan spiced sausage, spinach and cashews at $14 was killer spicy. Beatrice and Nancy both ate one noodle and thought it was spicy already, and Sean being half-Indian thought it was spicy too! I'm kind of glad I didn't try it because it would probably burn my lips. 

The chilled noodles has a bit of broth but it's not in a soup like the rest. 

Momofuku Noodle Bar on Urbanspoon



After lunch, all of us except Richelle and Jordan headed towards the Empire State Building - another place I have never been to even though I have been in New York before. The lines were surprisingly short for a tourist attraction. 

Here are some scenic pictures that I took from the 86th floor!! 
Makes me miss Hong Kong!
The Statue of Liberty is in view but very small!

And group photos!

We got photobombed by our photographer's son : '( 


Afterwards, we headed back to Times Square to meet up with Richelle and Jordan to visit Madame Tussad's Wax Museum.  It wasn't as big as I imagined but we still took a lot of pictures with various celebrities. 

Bea wanted to do this pose -_-

 Too funny to not post LOL

 I think I did a very good natural "laughing face"

We're cuuute 

 Bea reaallly wants to kiss me.

 Spice Power!

 Captain America <3


That concludes Day 2's afternoon activities. Next post will be about dinner at Maze by Gordon Ramsay, Times Square and Brooklyn Bridge : ) 

Read about Day 1, Day 2 Part 2, and Day 3

No comments:

Post a Comment